Tuesday, December 31, 2013

My First and Last Post of 2013...so it's VERY LOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGG!


"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord. "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  Jeremiah 29: 11-12

2013 was not a blogging year for me.  Oh, I had thoughts, words, great times, not-so-great times, and made lots of memories.  I just had no motivation to record them.  This has been a strange year.  It started out with my declaration that I was going to get healthy if it killed me, and I knew I had to do something drastic to make it happen. It has ended with the past few months being some of the most stressful of my life, but included some great rewards as well.

In February, I took the encouragement of a friend, and began CrossFit (CF). I was scared to death and excited!  I knew from the end of the fundamentals class that that CrossFit was what I need.  I just started going 2 days per week and believe me, that was enough.  CrossFit=TOUGH!  Things were going great!  I was really paying attention to what I ate, and my mind was beginning to make big ideas about how changing my diet could really enhance what CF was doing for my body. I hated every second of the WOD, and loved every second after it was over.  I amazed myself every time I finished.  I couldn't believe the stuff I was doing.   Now, I hadn't lost a single pound, but I was getting so strong!  I had muscles in places I hadn't seen in years.  I could walk up stairs and walk longer distances without being out of breath.  My times on WODs were improving, my abilities to complete those WODs without as much scaling was, too.  Not drastically, but enough that I could see clearly what a blessing CF was. I was definitely on the verge of making some drastic diet/nutrition changes, and increasing my WODs per week to 3 or 4.  Then, it happened.

Eddie told me that he really wanted me to go back to work for the upcoming school year. WAAAAHHHHH!!!  The same friend that encouraged me to start CF told me about a job at the school where her children attend.  It was a Media Specialist/Reading Specialist position in a private Christian school.  I applied, interviewed, and didn't get the job.  Then, I interviewed for an Office Assistant/Library Assistant position in the school where Connor and Claire attend.  I didn't get that one either.  However, I did not know that the Media Specialist from Connor and Claire's school sent my resume to an Instructional Supervisor in the same school district.  While we were at the beach, I got an email from her requesting an interview for a Media Specialist position split between two schools.  I interviewed, and felt ok about how it went.  After a couple weeks went by, I didn't hear from her, so I assumed I didn't get that one either. While my heart still wanted to be at home, I knew it was important to Eddie that I work, and I became pretty discouraged.  Eddie had assured me that it would be fine if I stayed home another year, but we agreed that I would continue to look for another teaching position, or possibly explore some different career options. Then, it happened again.  Seriously, like the day after we talked about my staying home again.  No kidding.

I was in Wal-Mart with the kiddos, and I got a phone call from the principal at a school that I had only heard of in a list of schools in the same school district of my CC's and CW's school requesting an interview for a last-minute Media Specialist position at his school.  My heart dropped. We arranged an interview date and time.

On the day of the interview, I woke up in plenty of time. I was ready to leave about 20 minutes before I needed to, and headed to my car.  When I got in the car, I heard my cat meowing...loudly.  It wasn't her usual meow, but a meow like I had only heard from her once before when she was bitten by a copperhead and we had to take her to the animal ER. (Yes, we really took a pet to an emergency room, but that's another story.)  Anyway, I knew this meow was a sign of distress.  I started looking for her and found her stuck in the engine under the hood of my car.  Geesh!  Didn't she know that I had a very important interview???  The kiddos helped me get her out completely unharmed and glad to be free, and I headed out on the messy, rainy roads for my interview that was 35 minutes away.  I thought I would be ok, until I got stuck behind a piece of farming equipment that could barely go 1/4 of the speed limit and took up BOTH LANES!!!  How was I supposed to pass?  How could I make it on time to this interview on time????  I can't be late!!  Being late for a job interview is unacceptable! I finally made it to the school, but couldn't figure out where to park, so I finally went to the front and park, even though there is no other car there.  My interview was at 10:00...it's 10:02...and in the chaos of the cat in the engine thing, I forgot to grab my umbrella.  I look more like a wet dog than a viable candidate for a job teaching children.  Oh, I know I've blown it. Or have I? 

SHOCKER ALERT:  I was offered the job on the spot. Seriously.  Since I had already been interviewed once by a member of the central office staff and she had already spoken to the Superintendent and Principal on my behalf.  Granted, it's one month before school starts and I'm sure they were pretty desperate to fill the position, but I try not to think about that.  I prayed over it, and thought about it, and fought with it for a week, and finally accepted the job.  I mean, was not accepting it ever really an option?  I was offered on the spot, a job for which I didn't even apply, and arrived 2 minutes late looking like a wet dog? When does that happen??  I'll tell you when.  When He carries out HIS PLANS for you.  That's when.  It had to be Him.  FINGERPRINTS!

The day I accepted, my principal informed  me that I needed to go to TN Core training for 3 days beginning the next day.  Since that day in early July, it's been a whirlwind.  This new job has been EXTREMELY challenging, as I've had to dig deep within myself to remember being a Gen Ed teacher.  Yes, I am the Media Specialist, but I'm teaching standards, and very little library skills. I'm being evaluated using the General Ed rubric.   I'm planning like I've never had to plan before, because I'm teaching K-8th Grades.  Oh, my, after 15 years teaching nothing over 3rd grade, I'm in a K-8 school. Whoa.  I've cried a lot.  I didn't sleep from August - October, and my hair is still falling out.  I bombed my first observation. On top of all this, some of our dearest friends moved to Texas.  Rough start.  It hasn't been all bad though. I've made some wonderful friends in my new co-workers. My second observation was much better, because I finally released the fear and worry, and relaxed a little--just a little.  I'm finally finding my teaching niche again, and I'm enjoying that.  Plus,  I'm even warming up to those scary 5th-8th graders. :)  Oh, and being a financial contributor to our household is also satisfying. 

This Christmas break has been nice.  I've enjoyed being with my children and hubby.  We had fun visiting with family. Decorations have been put away. House is getting back in order, and I'm "gettin' my blog on" this New Year's Eve.   Now, I'm ready (even though I sure have enjoyed being home for Christmas) to dig my heels in, finish this school year strong, and LIVE out everything that comes my way in 2014.

Keep looking for fingerprints,

Kellie




























No comments:

Post a Comment